Self-reflection (Brian)

Looking back on our field research, it surprised me how our two topics were intertwined. Seeing the merchandise of squids and Hijikata Toshizo was interesting. Hakodate had a thriving tourism industry. This was evident when we saw the plethora of tourists and Japanese students on school trips to Hakodate.

Walking around Goryokaku Park, I gained a deeper appreciation for how life must have been like back in Meiji period. I could almost imagine how the Shinsengumi must have attacked and fought as we traversed the hills and looked down upon the now modernized park. When our group was shopping around the gift shop inside Goryokaku Tower, it was interesting to see the cartoon Hijikata mascot manifesting all kinds of different souvenirs like T-shirts, pins, and stationery. It was interesting to see how remnants of history were able to continue on and stay alive today. 

Seafood in Hakodate is one of its biggest commodities, and seeing two different fish markets in the town was an enlightening experience. The morning market by the JR station was a tourist experience, and it was marketed heavily as such. We had a short interaction with a vendor in the market, and it surprised me when he spoke a lot of English. This contrasted a lot with the quieter market of Nakajima Renbai.

Looking back on the entirety of the trip, I was amazed at all the sights I saw. It was such an immersive experience that I can't believe it's only been two weeks. Learning about traditional Japan and experiencing its effects in modern day was great, because I had a deeper understanding of the historical significance of Hakodate. I am grateful that I was able to be a part of this trip, and my life is forever enriched by this experience.


Comments

Popular Posts